Loading

Photonaturalist is one of the top Photography blogs where you will find tips and tutorials on Digital Nature Photography. It was started in February of 2009 by Steve Berardi and has been recognized by Guy Kawasaki and Outdoor Photographer Magazine.

If you're an aspiring nature photographer, you'll love Photonaturalist. You'll find inspiration, tips and advice about Nature Photography in the simplest form ever. What makes Photonaturalist 'Blog of the Week' is the quality of content and the blog design. It is simple, neat and organized and of course, loved by thousands of people.

Steve's hobby turned into passion and now he is helping out those who strive to make their mark in Photography world. We contacted him for a small interview with us and he has been kind enough to do that. Read it below and get inspired:


Steve, tell us a bit about yourself.

I went to school for computer science, and still work as a software developer professionally. But, in my spare time, I've developed a passion for photographing nature. It all started when I moved to California and started hiking in the desert. I fell in love with the desert landscape, and its ability to prove the infinite strength of life. And, that's when I just felt the urge to start photographing it. :)

























Let's first talk about your blog 'Photonaturalist'. What is it all about?

The PhotoNaturalist is a blog about nature photography. I cover all types of nature photography (wildlife, landscape, closeup, etc), and my goal with the blog is to explain photography concepts as clearly as possible. There's a lot of technical stuff in photography, and I think that pushes a lot of people away, so my goal is to stay away from the technical stuff as much as possible.





















What inspired you to start blog? We would love to know about its inception.

I've always enjoyed learning new things and then writing about what I've learned. So, when I got interested in nature photography, I just naturally wanted to write about it.


Did you take any formal training in photography or is it something that comes naturally to you?

I did not go through any kind of formal training, but I think my experience with computer science has really helped me understand a few concepts in digital photography and post-processing. Everything I know about photography I learned by reading a book, magazine article, blog post, or experimenting with my camera.



























Let's have a rapid fire:

Which camera do you use?

Currently, my two main cameras are a Canon 5D Mark II for landscapes and closeups, and a Canon 7D for wildlife.

One camera accessory you can't do without?

A good tripod.

Your preferred weather for photography?

Overcast or clear skies, with zero wind.

Your favorite subject of photography?

Hummingbirds

Your favorite location in the world for photography?

Mojave Desert, California, USA

Your next equipment purchase would be?

Canon 300mm f/2.8

So far, the most exciting assignment for you has been? 

I've never really had an "assignment" -- I just photograph what interests me :)

Humming Birds:


































How important blogging is for a professional like you?

Blogging has helped me in a lot of different ways. It's helped me learn more about photography, since I think you get a better grasp on concepts when you try to explain them to someone else. And, it's helped me sell my ebooks by first building trust with my readers.



























Share your fondest memory with 'Photonaturalist'.

When Outdoor Photographer Magazine linked to PhotoNaturalist on their website. I've been a reader of their magazine for a long time, and respect their work very much, so it was really exciting to get a link from them.


What do you think is the key to successful blog?

Finding a way to help other people. I think that's all that really matters. Sure, there's a ton of little tricks for increasing your subscriber conversion rates, but the thing that matters the most is genuinely having an interest in helping people. I've always enjoyed helping people, especially when it comes to explaining technical stuff to non-technical people, so the blog has been very rewarding for me.

What would you like to advise a budding photographer who wish to start a blog?

Keep learning how to write more clearly, and keep learning new things about photography. And, don't give up :)


Some of the best images from 'Photonaturalist':




































































Steve, I really enjoyed talking to you and I am sure all those Photography-savvy out there will learn a lot from you. Thank you and wish you all the best for your future endeavors.


Check out Photonaturalist.com.
For all the latest updates, join them on Facebook and Twitter.

To read more interviews of talented and inspirational artists like Steve, you can subscribe to our RSS feed. You can also choose to receive updates via email.

Join us on Facebook as well: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment