Loading

An artist who hates to waste and upcycles junk mail, photos, postcards, greeting cards, calenders and tags etc to create an art-form that she calls "Acrylic Mosaic Fusion".

She has been an artist since the time she can remember and her fascination for mosaics and portraiture has made her a unique artist who sells vibrant and eco-friendly scrap paper portraits.

"Absolutely no technology, programs or dies are used to create my art. It is hand-painted, hand-cut, hand-applied, hand-embellished, and hand-finished. Ten thousand decisions are made." she says.

Sandhi Gold has been very kind to spare some time from her busy schedule for a small interview with us, read further to learn more about her art from the artist herself:


To begin with, tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm a life-long artist...creative thinker. I've had numerous "jobs," to earn a living - many of them creative: hand-bag designer, visual merchandiser, special event designer, creative communications...always painting at home, making things, always fascinated by art and fine craft.


What/who inspires or motivates the artist within you?

I just have a good work ethic. Originally, my Mother inspired me, an artist, a floral designer, a jewelry designer, a fantastic gourmet chef... and my Father a leather goods designer and amazing creative thinker. It was only natural I would follow a creative path.

I take my "job" as an artist seriously. I work every day for as many hours as possible - it is more than a full time job... I love to challenge myself to go further every time I approach a new work. I love the process and the time I put into my work reaps many rewards.


Enlighten our readers with your wonderful artwork. What it is all about?

I have always been a portrait painter - even when I was a needlepoint designer, I did faces, I figured the world have enough florals and Chinese vase designs! And all of my paintings and drawings from childhood have been people, fashion... so that's "my thing."

I love color, so I infuse many of my pieces with a riot of color.

I love busy... I love pattern... more is more as far as I'm concerned, so I like to create faces/portraits from a variety of crazy materials.


What sustainable materials do you use in your artwork?

All of the paper is recycled. Most of it is junk mail: postcards, greeting cards, fly cards, business cards - and calendars, tickets, etc. All the materials I use are non-toxic and water-based. It's healthier for me, and my work does not leach toxins into the air. I try to re-purpose canvas and frames whenever possible.


Take us on your journey from when you started your career till the present date. How has it been and how do you feel about it?

Like I said, I've always been an artist of one sort or another, but I knew at some point if I really wanted to make creating fine art a CAREER, I'd have to pursue it full time. I quit my job - no safety net - and started concentrating on one thing only - my art. It has been a bit of a struggle, but I would not have the results I've had [so far] without that kind of determination and single-mindedness! I'm thrilled to be an artist whose work is in galleries and have had several solo shows. I have a LONG way to go, but I know that and am willing to put the effort in to keep moving forward.


You're making a great contribution to environment by up-cycling junk mail. Tell us more about it?

I am only making a contribution in my backyard, unfortunately... but I am putting a lot of junk to good use. I found my own junk mail to be a great resource - as "art supplies," and since I've been going in that direction for years, it's a good focus...


Everyone has their specials or favourites. Which creation of yours is closest to your heart and why?

I try NOT to be sentimental when it comes to my work. Looking back, I see pieces that strike a chord - but for different reasons - either I really liked an image, or liked the way a piece turned out - or overcame an obstacle... usually my "favorite" is the next piece!


How and where do you promote your work?

For the first couple of years I was relentless in pursuing publicity - and it was fun. I have taken a step back this past year to concentrate on making more work... I do an email newsletter and have a web site... I am on Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn...but those pursuits can be a BLACK HOLE when it comes to time. My goal is to get into the right kinds of galleries that will do the promotion for me!


Would you like to share any incident which changed your life as an artist? What was the turning point in your career?

The incidents that most changed my life were taking the leap of faith to quit working at a civilian job... the first time I sold my work at an art show... learning how to negotiate with galleries and reps... and solo museum shows - all done on my own with no art school background and very little research [too impatient!]. I do thing my own way, in my own time.


Other than creating masterpieces using your art, what are the other things that interests you or probably what are your hobbies?

I am a lifelong learner. I read a lot - I listen to books while I'm working in the studio. I have traveled a lot, but not nearly enough! And, I like to cook. I know I have to rein in my habit of pursuing every interest or I'd never get any work done!


What's your take on eCommerce. How does it help an artist to grow?

I don't have enough experience with this to know... I've tried CafePress and Image Kind... I have tried putting PayPal buttons on my web site, but I know enough to know I don't know enough about this. It can be a double edged sword - galleries don't really like their artists to reproduce work...


Many aspiring artist would draw inspiration from you. Any piece of advice for them or anything you would like to share with our readers.

The most important things I've learned?
  • You have to develop a THICK SKIN... if you wither and die every time you're critiqued, you need to toughen up. This is essential to your success.
  • Not everyone is going to like your work. Period. Don't let that stop you. Of course, if you really suck, you'll know eventually...
  • You have to learn how to TOOT YOUR HORN - if you can't sell your own work, how do you expect someone else to? Or why would anyone buy it?
  • Confidence is great, conceit is not so attractive.
  • When you're your own boss, your customers are your bosses. They are a lot harder to please than that jerk you work for now.
  • Art is a business. Treat your business like any other. Take business classes at school and follow a strategic plan... have goals...or if you have the time and money, try lots of things and see what works for you knowing it will take a long time to see what works.
  • Having a support system is VERY important - spouse, parents, friends - make sure you're surrounded by positive people who want you to succeed. That starving, tortured artist thing is very romantic, but not good for reaching goals.

Thank you for such a wonderful article, we wish you all the success in the future. :)


Schimmel Art Website
Schimmel Art Blog


For more insightful interviews from sellers like Sandhi Gold, you can subscribe to our blog or choose to receive updates directly in your inbox. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 Response to 'Seller Of The Week: Sandhi Schimmel Gold. Acrylic Mosaic Fusion Artist.'

  1. Anonymous Said,
    http://e-junkieinfo.blogspot.com/2011/01/seller-of-week-sandhi-schimmel-gold.html?showComment=1296229632078#c3659698086119438778'> January 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM

    Thanks that was great.

     

Post a Comment