Loading

Thomas Pavitte is an Australia based graphic designer; originally from New Zealand. He takes up some really challenging projects and believe me, they're absolutely brilliant. He has made a very interesting list of the projects he'd like to work on and gradually, he is getting off them one by one.

Recently, he has been in news for his project 'Mona Lisa 6239 Dot-to-Dot Drawing' in which he has connected 6239 dots to form a drawing of Mona Lisa. It is not as easy as it sounds. It took him 9 hours to complete it. Incredible!

Well, this is not all. Many of his other projects are as amazing as this one. You can find some of them below along with his small interview with us:



Thomas, let's start with a brief introduction of yours.

My name is Thomas Pavitte, I'm 26 years old, born in Auckland, New Zealand, currently living and working in Melbourne, Australia. I completed a bachelor of computer graphic design in 2007 and have been working in various jobs as a graphic designer ever since. Graphic Design is my day job, but in my own time I enjoy complete creative freedom making art.


You're an incredible artist, Thomas. I am speechless! What inspires the artist within you?


Thank you! I really appreciate the compliment. I love to challenge myself and get a real buzz out of the whole journey of creating something – from starting with an idea, visualizing it in my head, planning how I am going to create it, overcoming problems along the way to completing it. It's usually a lot of time and effort, but the end result is always worth it.
















































































































Did you take any formal training in Arts or is it something that comes naturally to you?

I was always interested in art from a young age and throughout my early education. As I got older, I decided to peruse graphic design as a career and completed a 3 year course at the Wanganui School of Design in New Zealand.























Though I loved all your projects but I found 'Mona Lisa Dot' and 'John Walker Dot' the most amazing ones. I would love to know a bit about each one of them.

The Mona Lisa dot-to-dot drawing has been my most popular piece of work to date - and probably my most crazy idea so far. When I had just moved to Melbourne I was finding it hard to find a job. So in order to help pass the time while I was searching, I decided to give myself a challenge. I don't know where exactly the idea came from, but I wondered if it would be possible to create the most complex dot-to-dot drawing in the world. I spent about a week planning it all, manually placing every dot and numbering them, and ended up with 6,239. Then all that was left to do was to connect them all. On the 14/02 this year it took me from 12:40pm to 9:55pm to complete it. I felt exhausted at the end, but it was worth the pain.
















































My latest piece is a tribute to the inventor of matchsticks - John Walker. I had this idea a few months ago to create a series of typographic pieces that celebrate the inventors of common household items that we take for granted. It took me about 4 months to place all the matchsticks into a polystyrene base to spell out John Walker. I didn't anticipate that it was going to take that much time. It took up way to much of my time, but I had no option but to continue on with it and see it to its competition. I always had the idea of setting it alight when it was finished and to be honest, I felt quite relieved to set it on fire one night at a nearby beach. It was strange seeing 4 months of work burn to ash in under 5 minutes, but I'm really happy with the photos I got out of it.




























I read about your project 'Tribute to Alan Holloway'. What was your idea behind it? 

The Alan Holloway piece was my first piece in my typographic tribute series. He was the inventor of Blu Tack, and I used 37 packets of the stuff to spell out his name on my desk. It's now been turned into a 3 kilogram ball as it was taking up too much room on my desk.






 I told you my favorite projects of yours..now it's your turn. Which project by you is closest to your heart?

I think for me, my favorite piece is my plywood fruit bowl. I had never worked with wood before and really wanted to give laser cutting a go. I came up with a pretty simple design inspired by contour relief maps, sent it to be laser cut and glued it together and was thrilled with the result.






























Share your fondest memory through this artistic journey.

I remember when I came home one night to see my laser cut wood had arrived I was really excited to open it up. I quickly assembled the pieces and it was a great feeling to see that my idea had worked. I spent a lot of time planning it and it was a great feeling to know that it had payed off for me.

Share the best compliment you've ever received for your work.

I'm blown away by the comments and emails that I have received from all over the world. It's a great motivation for me to keep pushing myself to create new and interesting work. I don't think there is one compliment that stands out from the rest. Getting positive feedback from anyone is great to hear.

What are you working on currently?

I've been asked to do a piece for a friend who has a completely bare wall at her house. I've decided to do my first painting in years for it which is a bit scary. I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to do it on a number of wood panels.

Do you have any dream project?

I'd love to find a very rich client who will pay for me to create whatever I like, as big as I like, while taking as much time as I like.

Many other artists would draw inspiration from you. What message do you have for them?

Keep making stuff.














































Thomas, you've got a brilliant creative sense. It was wonderful knowing about you and we wish you all the best for your upcoming projects.

Visit Thomas's website to see all of his projects.
Don't forget to follow him on Twitter.

To read more interviews of talented artists like Thomas, you can subscribe to our RSS feed. You can also choose to receive updates via email

Join us on Facebook as well: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment