Loading
“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.”
- Luciano Pavarotti.

So true, isn't it? As soon as Sarah Khanna realized this, she gave up her day job to follow her passion that lies in cooking yummy food. Her combined interest in photography and food has resulted in a beautiful blog called 'Buttered-Up'. Through her blog, she shares what she prepares in the simplest ways. She features some really exotic cuisines on her blog as they are influenced by many cultures around the world.

Well, it takes a lot to cook, photograph and share the same with others. Sarah is doing a wonderful job and I would suggest you at least try one of the recipes given by her. You'll end up having a great time.

Catch Sarah's interview below:



Sarah, let's start with a brief introduction.

I'm a 27-year-old stepmother of two and wife to one who left her big city advertising career to settle down with my husband in Malaysia. Instead of living a heart-attack-inducing lifestyle, I chose to quit the advertising business and instead, blog as well as write a food column for Egypt's only independent newspaper in English, The Daily News Egypt. I'm half Egyptian, half Indian and that makes me really happy. Both beautiful countries have such a rich history and interesting cuisines to boot.































Tell us about your blog 'Buttered-Up'. What is it all about?

Buttered-Up is basically my self-improvement project. It keeps me dedicated to something and pushes me to continue working to get better in the kitchen. So really when you think about it, I constantly butter myself up by getting approval from people online. Ha!






































What inspired you to start Buttered-Up? We would love to know about its inception.

I started Buttered-Up.com when I started getting better in the kitchen. I needed a space to call my own where I could create, vent and continue to connect with people online. Originally beginning my career as a copywriter, I had to find a way to continue writing. I was terrified that any so-called talent that I had would slip away. My blog also made me a little more self-disciplined and became something that would nag at me constantly when it wasn't updated.

























How do you balance so many activities that includes blogging, cooking, photography and yes-eating?

It's an easy process to me but it can get really time consuming. Cooking is something I do anyway because well, we have to eat; and photography was always a hobby of mine so I decided to combine both my interests as well as my writing skills. I think what takes the longest time is coming up with something clever enough to get people to read. I'll usually cook in the morning and take photos right when I'm done. After that comes the eating. The blogging comes last and I usually post at night or the morning after. I have to think about what to write and which photos to use as well as editing those photos! So yes, like I said, it can get time consuming.



















































Let's have a rapid fire:

Five things you can't live without?

My family, the internet, a well-stocked kitchen, hot showers and lots and lots of books.


Cooking or Photography?

In all honesty, it's very difficult to choose. Photography is my old love and cooking is my more recent one and to me, they go hand in hand especially because of my blog. I don't think it would suffice to have one without the other in the context of blogging.


Tea or coffee?

Ooh, difficult one. A few years ago, I would have said coffee and although I still love coffee tremendously, my taste buds have been leaning more towards tea as of late. I have developed a beautiful relationship with green tea.


One blogging tool you can't do without? 

As weird as this sounds, Twitter! Twitter has helped me get my blog across to different kinds of people and has introduced me to other food bloggers who share an interest in the same things.


One line that keeps you going?

Underpromise, overdeliver.


One recipe you'd a tough time creating?

Whole wheat pita bread, without a doubt. I still can't get it to taste exactly like the bread we buy back home in Cairo and it's been difficult to get it right. Most people buy it and have no clue how to make it and that makes it more difficult to get a proper recipe. What I've reached is quite good but still not what I'm dreaming about making at home.



























Share the best compliment you've ever received for your blog/work.

I can't quite recall a word-for-word compliment but I suppose the best compliment would be that my current editor thought that I was good enough to have a weekly column running in the newspaper; then she made it happen.

























Share with us your fondest memory through this journey of blogging.

My fondest memories definitely lie in eating all the things I've made and in sharing them with those closest to me. I love seeing the expression on my step children's faces when they enjoy something new or learn about food in a way that does not seem so intimidating. I remember sitting on the floor and sharing a slice of chocolate cake with them after taking photos for the blog, getting crumbs everywhere, laughing with them and watching the amusement in their eyes because they didn't have to be clean about it.

























How has blogging helped you personally as well as professionally?

Personally speaking, Buttered-Up has helped me expand my horizons and cut back on my hesitation. I'm definitely more decisive and more daring. If previously I would shy away from trying a dish, I'll jump right into it now. It has also pushed me to educate myself on many food topics that I was literally clueless about. Professionally, I now have a weekly food column in a newspaper I have always respected and will hopefully get more opportunities to work with food in the future.

Would you like to share your dreams and vision for 'Buttered-Up'?

A lot of people have now stopped cooking in Egypt and leave it up to the maid or their mother to send over the food. We're gradually losing our culture and it has become very evident specifically in our food culture. Our children are not being educated on the nutritional aspects of food and are getting more westernized. I only hope to preserve a slice of Egyptian culture as well as include our ingredients and ideas in the modern culture that is replacing our old ways.

Many of our readers would draw inspiration from you. What message do you have for them? 

Don't rush yourself and don't try to be something you're not. Many bloggers are intimidated at first because the online food world can be a really scary place. Admit that you're still learning because if we were to be honest, we'll continue to learn and grow until our last day.

Sarah, well that really sums up to a very useful advice. I really appreciate it and appreciate the fact that you've spared your precious time from your kitchen to talk to us. Wish you all the best!

P.S- Your dishes are mouth-watering, Sarah. I wish I could taste one of them. :)


























Don't forget to check out Buttered-Up.com.
Buttered-Up on Facebook and Twitter.

To read more interviews of talented and truly inspiring people like Sarah, you can subscribe to our RSS feed. You can also choose to receive updates via email

Join us on Facebook as well: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment