Loading
TechCrunch has gone through some major overhaul recently, thanks to Dave Feldman, TC's product manager who has been working on it for months now.

"It's taken innumerable twists and turns along the way. It's survived an acquisition. It's been a challenge and a privilege to coordinate the all-new, completely redesigned TechCrunch." he says. Well, I sincerely hope that he spent most of this time redesigning the site rather than the logo...otherwise it's just sad!

Like thousands of TC's readers I too have my own issues with their new logo, but other than that, I must say that I like their new design. Its simple, crisp, fast, easy-to-navigate and looks great on my smartphone too. But I am sure that there are many out there who would frown on this statement. I came across some really funny, amusing and very few constructive criticism about this latest change on one of the most renowned technology blogs, here are some of them:


First let me highlight some positive feedback, which I think actually makes sense:

Matt Schilicht: I love that when you scroll down the new "TC" logo scrolls up and the full logo + TechCrunch appears in the white space left over.
Chip Norkus: In the old design I ran an uncached pull of the front page and it sent something  like 4MB (yes MB) of data. On the new design an uncached pull is about 1.5MB. Is that still atrocious? Yeah it is. Does it feel like they shaved 50% of the fat? Yes it does.
Kudos to TC guys for the redesign.
Matthew Moore: Very nice design guys, I think it's sharp and embodies what TC is very well. You don't need me to say it, but haters going to hate and people hate change. Cheers!



Here are some amusing reactions:

Chris Winn: "TechCrunch is bold. It's raw. It's fast-paced" And now, it's ugly too!
Ben Weston: April fools?
Ian Franklin: Did you make the logo an eyesore to take the focus off the redesign? That's pretty clever.
Cartondisney: Dear TechCrunch: For the love of GOD! Please change this social plugin to something that supports Gmail! A large portion of your users are using Google plus now (yes that was fast). So please incorporate a commenting platform that 'everyone' can use, not just fcbk/yahoo/html users. Gmail/Google+ users would like to commect too. Thank you! 
Devseattle: This looks so 1980! 
I am just waiting for PacMan to jump out of the page...
Amihai Ulman: try again...
 Sunil Pereira: why does it remind me of St. Patrick's Day?...
Tony Carter: Is this a PR stunt?


According to me, as long as I can get my eyes off the logo and train myself just to concentrate on the content and the new design, I think TechCrunch has done a good job. But my question is that: Why did you get rid of +1 button and sideline thousands of Google users? Thanks to Facebook's commenting system, they've ended up alienating Google lovers.

Dave has promised that there are more changes and interesting features on its way and I hope that other than their hideous logo I will have something to look forward to.

"I think of today's release as a beta. There's so much more to come: enhanced social features; ways to navigate across articles and dive into topics; new options for viewing posts; better navigation; and improved filtering of content. Even better tools for writers and editors. Vastly improved performance."

Well said Dave! I also want to share some interesting insights by Paul Carr from TechCrunch, who has created an interesting hatemail template for people to fill in and submit some quick note about how much they despise this new move by TC. I must applaud the team behind TC for coming up with such an interesting marketing campaign.

"Some of you have already chipped in with useful feedback on Dave's post, variously describing the design as 'hideous', 'horrible', 'the worst redesign ever' and 'not even the same league as Gizmodo' (ouch). But what about the rest of you? If I know anything about Dave (I don't) it's that, having worked for months on this new thing, he simply can't wait to hear how much you hate the fruits if his ( and his team's) labors."

Read his entire article here.

In the end all I can say is that, after a certain amount of time every company or website needs to bring in certain changes, don't listen to those who say that people don't like change. In fact, it's something they look forward to, so that they have something new to crib about. Even if TechCrunch changes back to its original form after 6 months, you will see the same people whining about how much they hated the old version of TC.

Great job with the design Dave, but seriously, what's with the logo? :P

For all the latest updates from us, you can subscribe to our RSS feeds. You can also choose to receive updates via email

Join our Facebook page: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment