Loading
Maurice Bennet is one of the most renowned artists of New Zealand who creates astounding portraits of celebrities and produces other works using toasted bread. They all are a beauty, I must say!

If you see them from a distance, they would appear to you a pixelated image but once you come closer to it, you will be astonished (of course, in a pleasant sense) to know that they are actually made from thousands or hundreds of breads.

Recently, he has made Eminem's portrait using 5040 individual M&M's.The finish he gives to his creations is incredible. Plus his dedication and love towards his artwork makes his work more appealing and lovable. Besides being an artist, he is also a supermarket entrepreneur. I am sure he has many interesting facts about himself and his artwork to share. Let's know them in the interview below where Maurice shares his journey and art with us:




Maurice, lets start with a brief introduction of yours.

I feel that we all have a desire to express ourselves in some way; this is what drives me.





























What tickles the artistic side in you?

The creative process, and new ingenious art. A landscape is a landscape, but one that is done in a new method or shows a new interruption, turns me on.







































How did the idea of using toast as the medium of art strike to you? Do you have any story to share?

I first got the idea for using toast as a medium for art in 1998 after a backyard barbeque. I was flicking through a magazine, taking time out from cooking the sausages. In the magazine there was a picture by Chuck Close, the American artist. Upon see the picture, I immediately said to myself, ‘this picture could be done in slices of toast’. So I got out the toaster and started making slices of toast, laying them out on the carpet in the lounge. The guys came in from the barbeque and made comments along the lines of ‘ did that idea ‘pop’ into your head’, and ‘you’ll make a lot of ‘dough’ and out of this’. I knew straight away I was onto a winning formula.





























Which was your first creation?

In 1999, I did my first Toast portrait of the then mayor of Wellington, Mark Blumsky, for an Arts Festival.


Which creation has been the most challenging one for you so far?

They are all challenging in some way, but the portrait of the Mona Lisa holding an ice cream, which I did in Hong Kong last year. It was pretty hard, as it was very large, used different size slices of toast, and for the first time colored toast, and then there was a language barrier.























































And the most special one; the one you'd cherish forever?

Homage to Colin McCahon, 2006, (stations of the cross)It was my interpretation of a famous New Zealand painting, done with slices of toast and sticks of driftwood. Unluckily it sold straight away.

Would you like to describe your creative work process?

1. First, I take a digital photo or using one from the Internet.

2. Using Photoshop, I block the work into a number of squares (the amount of squares is determined by the size of the work and how recognisable the image will be).

3. I change the image to black and white, with only six tones.

4. I toast the slices to the allocated tone colour, using an oven.I lay the work out using a ‘paint by number’ or grid system.




























How do you preserve your work?

Each Art Work goes through a two-step process. The first step is to soak each slice of toast in industrial grade polyurethane and then let it dry. This is a very time consuming job, but means that the bread will last forever. The second step, to give the work extra durability and protection, is to spray the competed work with a “two pot” lacquer coat. The same the hardwearing coat of lacquer that is applied to protect the paint work on your car.


On an average, how many hours does it take you to complete one creation?

That depends on the subject but normally a month, but if need I could force myself to do a large work in a couple of weeks if the client was prepared to pay.


While working, what music you prefer to listen?

I am a huge fan of reggae from the early years of “Studio One” through to “Ragamuffin” and “Down Beat”.


Do you have any dream project?

To do a toast portrait of, the Queen, Jordan, or possibly Bob Marley.


Share the best compliment you've ever received for your work.

I have had many, not one sticks out, but a enjoy it when people are amazed and wonder how I came up with the idea and how I have stuck with it.


































Tell us about 'Bennett's Beer'.

It is really a hobby; I set the company up, as I really love beer. I do not have a brewery, I get something else to brew the beers on my behalf, but they are to my recipe. As long as the company breaks even, or makes a small profit each year, and I have a nice beer to drink, then I am very happy, I am not seeking world donation of the beer market.




What are the other things that interest you?

I am also a keen gardener; I have a good size property and have always dreamt of having a half decent garden, so I split my day, with art, beer, and gardening. Not bad really!


Many other artists and our readers would draw inspiration from you. What message do you have for them?

Go for it and stick to it, and do not let the “Arty Farty” crowd get you down.


Maurice, I love your artwork and I am sure many of our readers will fall in love with it. It's wonderful! Thanks for sparing time to talk to us and it was a pleasure to have you with us. We look forward to more brilliant work from you. All the Best!

Visit Maurice's website.

To read more interviews of talented and innovative artists like Maurice, you can subscribe to our RSS feeds. You can also choose to receive updates via email.

Join us on Facebook as well:
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment