Loading
A few weeks back, we featured Andreas Preis' absolutely stunning Zodiac Signs Series . Its not only Zodiac Signs series, all his projects and illustrations are brilliant. A German based artist who has studied Communication Design creates intricate works of art that comprises drawings, portraits, faces, etc.

The choice of colors, expressions, and detailed designing are the assets of  his illustrations. Since the day I came across Andreas' work, I really got fascinated by it with a keenness to feature and learn more about his work. Eventually, I contacted him for a small interview to know more about his artistic journey, inspiration, favorite work and more. Check it out below and get inspired!






Andreas, let's start with a brief introduction of yours.

Hello, my name is Andreas Preis and I'm from Germany. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator currently living and working in Berlin.



























You're one of the finest artists I have ever come across. What tickles that artistic side within you?

Thank you very much. I don't know, I always used to paint and draw, so that's nothing special to me. I like the whole process, the »creation« of something.















































Have you always wanted to become an illustrator?

When I was little, I always told my parents, I wanted to be a »painter without a boss«, so somehow I think I have to say yes. But on the other hand it took me quite a while. I studied communications design because I only knew I wanted to do something where I could be visually creative. After an internship and some working in a big advertising agency, I started to really focus on illustration and I still believe it was a good idea.







































Can you recall any incident that made you realize that you're meant to be an extraordinary artist?

No, and really, I don't see myself that way. There are lots of great and better artists than me.













































Is there anyone whom you idolize or look up to?

I wouldn't call it that way, but there are of course some artists, that I admire somehow, e.g. Russ Mills, Rhys Owens, Jacob Bannon or Si Scott.


What are the tools that you use to create such masterpieces?

Nothing special. I work a lot with fineliners, markers and of course pencils. Mostly I colorize everything in Photoshop. But I also use cans, acrylics, photos etc…


















































Would you like to describe the creative process your illustrations go through?

It's hard to describe stuff like that. Mostly I have some kind of an idea of an image or of an atmosphere that I want to create, sometimes I just discover a photo that inspires me. After that, it's the normal process of scribbles, first drawings, scans, retouching, drawing some more and putting it together in Photoshop. I always start with the black&white drawing and add color later as a finish.







































What music you prefer to listen while working?

Always different stuff, sometimes electronic music, sometimes metal, sometimes hiphop, depends a lot on my mood...



I know this is a difficult one but which creation by you is the closest to your heart?

There are some pieces that I like more than others, like e.g. the Signs of the Zodiac series. But I don't really have one favorite piece.









































I saw your portfolio and realized that you've created illustrations on a number of subjects. Which subject you enjoy the most working on?

I always liked to create portraits, trying to find some deepness and expression. The same with animals… But normally I just start to create what comes to my mind for whatever reason.



















































Share the best compliment you've ever received for your work.

I don't know, I'm happy about everyone who likes my work and I appreciate it a lot when people write something. But the thing I remember most, was when somebody wrote me, my work would bring him »to tears« … didn't really know what to think of that…



Do you have any dream project? No, just doing my thing and hopefully making a living out of it. If that works out, I'm happy.


Many other artists and our readers would draw inspiration from you. What message do you have for them?

Hm, that's difficult. I only can tell you what worked for me: Don't copy, but get inspired! But also don't force »being different«, just do what you really want to do!




































Andreas, thanks for this crisp interview. It was good to learn about you.We wish you all the very best! 

Check out Andreas' Behance network.
Connect with him on Facebook.
You can buy his prints at http://society6.com/designerpreis.

To read more interviews of talented artists like Andreas, you can subscribe to our RSS feeds. You can also choose to receive updates via email

Join us on Facebook as well: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 Responses to 'Interview With Andreas Preis, Creating Brilliant Illustrations'

  1. D0tch Said,
    https://e-junkieinfo.blogspot.com/2011/07/interview-with-andreas-preis-creating.html?showComment=1373302302178#c348802106798675693'> July 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

    One of the most inspiring designers ever..

     

  2. Ejunkieblog Said,
    https://e-junkieinfo.blogspot.com/2011/07/interview-with-andreas-preis-creating.html?showComment=1373367669452#c1461043906934125160'> July 9, 2013 at 4:01 AM

    We must say he is a very inspiring designer with his exotic and captivating art!

     

Post a Comment