Loading
Christoph Niemann is an illustrator, graphic designer and (co)author of several books including some children's books.  After his studies in Germany, he moved to New York City in 1997. His work has appeared on the covers of The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times Magazine and American Illustration, and has won awards from AIGA, the Art Directors Club and American Illustration. He is a member of the Alliance Graphique Internationale. After 11 years in New York City, he moved to Berlin again.

Since July 2008, Niemann has been writing and illustrating the whimsical Abstract City, a New York Times blog, renamed Abstract Sunday in 2011, when the blog’s home became The New York Times Magazine.

Christoph's illustrations are simple yet very attractive. He picks up a usual concept and describes them cleverly with a mix of humor in his illustrations. All of his creations are awesome and it was really hard for me to pick which ones to be put here. It is an honor as well as a pleasure for us to feature Christoph as 'Artist Of the Week' on our blog.

Catch his interview below with some visuals of his work:

I love your illustrations! I short fall of words to describe them. What influences the illustrator within you?

When I was a kid, I probably spent more time than necessary reading MAD magazine, since then my influences have expanded quite a bit. I enjoy seeing contemporary art shows (plenty of that in Berlin!). I don't go to movies as often as I would like to, but I do read a ton of magazines (sadly mostly through their websites).

 


































When did you realize that you're meant to be an extraordinary illustrator? Do you have any story to share?

I wish I would feel a tad more extraordinary when I sit at my desk biting my pencil while I desperately try to come up with something funny. (P) I knew pretty early on that I wanted to be an illustrator. But when I was sixteen I came to the conclusion that this was a stupid career choice, and that becoming an architect would be the wiser thing to do. I spent a week drawing floor plans and bad childish knock offs of Falling Water. But when I found out that an architect has to built 3D models I knew I was doomed. I just don't have the patience to deal with all those little pieces of cardboard and glue. So I went with the original idea.


 




































Would you like to describe the creative work process from generating the idea till executing it?

No music. Coffee. White paper (lots). Pencil. Varying degrees of angst and desperation. And slowly the reassuring knowledge that if you bang your head against the table for long enough something will happen. Once I have the idea I try to find an appropriate style (I never start by saying: Today I will do a water color). Then I hope that the idea still works after I actually execute it.


 

































I loved your 'Let It Dough' series. How did you think of such an awesome concept?

Thank you! All those Times columns are even rougher to come up with than my usual work, because there is no assignment that I can struggle with. Initially I wanted to something with baked cookie, but as I came up with concepts I realized that the creation of the cookies is much more fun to talk about. I started collecting ideas and through endless rounds of editing tried to finally turn them into a coherent story. For the 24 pieces that end up in the blog I probably had to create at least 60-80 ideas.






















 

What tools and soft wares do you use for creating such brilliant illustrations?

As far as traditional media goes I use mostly pencils, black ink, blue fountain pen ink and gouache. On the Mac I work with Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash.


I know it would be difficult to pick but which project by you is the closest to your heart?
The Abstract City/Abstract Sunday column has been the scariest, but also most rewarding thing I have done so far. For the first time I have tried to tell more personal stories than I ever had attempted before. So I may pick the first entry (the boys and the subway) because it is about a topic that is so dear to me.



                                                                                





















Is there any dream project of yours?
I can't say that there is a particular job I would like to be hired for. Maybe designing a stamp would be fun eventually. What really drives me is the hope to create an image that clicks with a large audience. I would much rather have a large audience be excited about a little spot drawing than do an ad campaign for a fancy campaign that falls flat.  


What are the other things that interests you?

Eventually I would like to become a decent piano player. I do have a weakness for watching basketball on TV. And I like pasta. A lot.


Many other illustrators and artists would draw inspiration from you. What message do you have for them?

There is a great quote from Chuck Close: "Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work."

I can't add anything to that!
























Thank you Christoph for taking the time for this wonderful interview, we love your stuff and wish the very best for the future. :)


Follow Christoph on Twitter.
Join him on Facebook.
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment