Loading
Iain Macarthur is an England-based illustrator. Some of his illustrations are dreamlike, and somehow realistic at the same time. Best known for his surreal and wildlife paintings, he became a fanatic of art at the age of eight. He draws portraits, realistic figures, flora and fauna beautifully.

The best part about his work is the minutest detail he takes care of while illustrating. He is graduated in HND illustration from Swindon college in 2008.

"My work is described as surreal and unique in its own way. Using mostly pencil, water colors and pigment pens I create portraits of people but create them in an unusual way by embellishing patterns and water color effects into the portrait to give a vivid explosion effect; making their faces from something plain to something entirely bizarre and wonderful at the same time", shares the artist.

Lets learn more about him in the interview below:


Iain, please introduce yourself to E-junkies.

My name is Iain Macarthur and I’m a freelance illustrator from Swindon, UK.



Enlighten us with your wonderful artwork. What kind of paintings do you create?

I create surreal and elegant pieces done in ink, some done in black and white and some done in digital coloring. I sometimes also combines pencil style portraits with intricate nature like patterns to give it a look that is one of a kind.
















































What influences your work? What inspires the artist within you?

I get inspiration from a lot of things that catches my eye, but I get most of the inspiration from work done in art nouvoue such as 'alphones mucha'. I also like bird type images and the way their wings are layered and its style, wildlife elements like trees and water are some of the ideas that I use in my work and transform them in pattern like methods.




































Do you remember your first creation? What and when was it?

My first creation was a steel chair created in a cubism style in color pencils. I did this in secondary school during my GCSE’s in art, I think it was my first proper creation, before then I always used to draw faces from magazines and books.


Your wildlife paintings look very beautiful! Would you like to share something about them?

I had a lot of fun creating this project for a solo exhibition in LA. I made it for a gallery called phone booth gallery. I just wanted to do intricate pattern like portraits of my favourite animals. The bear and eagle portrait was my favourite to work on. It took me a while to create them perfectly with pen and ink.














































What do you like to draw the most?

I like drawing portraits. It is relaxing to draw them in pencil, especially drawing them whilst listening to music. When I draw the portraits, I have a tendency of trying to make it as realistic as possible, and incorporating the patterns in the portraits is fun too. I like to work out which part of the face or try and make the patterns incorporated in a mask like form or a part of the jewelery.




























Which creation of yours is closest to your heart? And the reason is...

The bird pieces are quiet close as they inspire me and I have a liking to them. Like ornaments with wings.








































Your paintings are called 'surreal'! How do you feel about it? When did you realize that you can draw so well?

Surrealism has been another part of what I like about art. I prefer not to draw something that is plain and normal looking, but a bit bizarre and unique. I realized I was good at drawing and painting when I was little, always got compliments from friends and parents which has boost my confidence in drawing and made it my ambition. I remember, I always used to draw something in class or on the tables when bored.


























































Share one best compliment you have ever received for your work.

Once I got a compliment from a university student from America saying that my work inspired him and did a presentation piece on it. I thought that was a big compliment I got about my work :D


Do you have any dream project?

At the moment I’m doing a really cool project which I've always wanted to do, but cant tell you about as it is a top secret, but it’s a sports related thing , that’s all I can say. :P


Many other artists would draw inspiration form you. What message do you have for them?

Keep drawing, do one drawing a day, enjoy what you do and hopefully you’ll get something good out of it. :D





















Iain, thank you so much for talking to us. It has been a pleasure. We wish you all the best for future!

Check out more cool creations by him on his website.

Follow Iain's blog.

To read more interviews of talented artists like Iain, you can subscribe to our RSS feed. You can also choose to receive updates from us via emails

Do join us on Facebook as well: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 Response to 'Interview With Iain Macarthur. An Artist Known For his Meticulous And Fantasy Drawings'

  1. E-junkie Said,
    https://e-junkieinfo.blogspot.com/2011/04/interview-with-iain-macarthur-artist.html?showComment=1401239110728#c652476406437576376'> May 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

    YOU HAVE BEEN STOLEN here :
    http://www.rueduteeshirt.com/article.jsp?IDVISUEL=17683&V=1
    http://www.rueduteeshirt.com/lesvisuels.jsp?view=2&IDVISUEL=18362
    http://www.rueduteeshirt.com/lesvisuels.jsp?view=2&IDVISUEL=18137
    http://www.rueduteeshirt.com/lesvisuels.jsp?view=2&IDVISUEL=17510

     

Post a Comment