Loading
It hasn't been very long since we featured this genius artist Peter Mason who uses old postage stamps to create pixelated portraits of celebrities. Peter, who has dedicated all his life to 'Art' is also know as 'Post Pop Art Man'.

His Mosaic artwork is undoubtedly amazing that requires not only dedication but also a lot of labor. And I absolutely salute that! Pete is based in Staffordshire, England and after having a long teaching career, he is now focused on creating more personal work. His work has been featured in magazines, newspapers and on radio and television. His clients include celebrities as well as members of the public who wish to own a unique portrait or a unique stamp image.

Let's learn more about Peter and his artistic life in the interview below and check out some of his best works:


Please introduce yourself to E-junkies.

My name is Pete Mason and I’m known as the Post Pop Art Man. I create pictures by recycling postage stamps into pixellated images. My art work can be viewed on my website www.thepostpopartman.co.uk . Each stamp represents a pixel. By choosing the everyday objects of postage stamps and placing them so that their usual significance becomes obscure, enables the audience to see 'Art' with new eyes.

 
Madonna
Barack Obama
Red And Blue Fuchsia






























































































































Enlighten us about your wonderful artwork.

I produce art works from thousands of used postage stamps; the largest pieces use as many as 22,000 recycled postage stamps while the more typical 4' x 3' canvases use around 3500. Using either canvas or huge pieces of paper I draw the image I will produce. I divide the surface on which I am working into stamp sized squares, but often use more than one stamp per grid section. Stamps are sorted by colour, design and postmark pattern. I then begin the process of finding appropriate stamps before cutting and shaping them and finally sticking them to the surface. This is how I achieve resemblances and shapes in the portraits, landscapes and tributes I create.


Martin Luther King
Queen Elizabeth II
Catherine Middleton

William And Kate
















































































































































How did you think of such a creative concept of recycling postage stamps into pixelated images?

This came from my experiences as an art teacher working with young people in secondary education in order to inspire some of the less creative elements in a large classroom situation; in that once they admit to liking soccer, fishing, ballet, pop music etc. It is only a step away from creating their own images of their favourite subject on to a set of four or five British postage stamps. The challenge “Are you going to do one,Sir?” was met by my creating on board a copy of my hero Roy Lichtenstein’s ‘Blue-eyed Girl’. This portrait was 5’x7’ as I had to make it large enough to be seen at the back of the classroom....and the rest is as they say 'history'.


Blue-Eyed Girl












































When did you realize that you're meant to be an artist?

From childhood, I always enjoyed drawing and painting but began my more formal studies at Lichfield College of Art in Staffordshire, England before moving on to Stafford College of Art in the country town of Stafford. There in 1962, I was awarded the National Diploma in Design in Painting and Lithography. It was at this time that I was influenced by the resurgent Pop Art movement in painting. I particularly admired and still do the works of Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol. I continued my training at The University of Leeds where I was awarded my degree and this led me to begin my career as a teacher of Art and Design.

During my teaching career I was seconded for one year to The University of Birmingham achieving the Diploma in Art Education contributing to my Masters Degree awarded in 1977. During my teaching career I taught Art and Design in secondary schools in Staffordshire, Liverpool and Walsall and ran evening classes for adults. Now I’m retired from full time teaching and I am able to concentrate on my own creative work producing portraits as well as images in tribute to some of my favourite great artists of the twentieth century.

David Beckham
Mailbox
Peter And Katie
Prince Charles







































You have so many creations. Which piece of work is the most special to you?

I have a variety of favourites; Nelson Mandela for his impact on the world, Margaret Thatcher as a powerful image of a powerful lady and Bruce Forsyth and Cliff Richard who gave me the opportunity, having produced their portraits of actually meeting two really nice people.

Nelson Mandela
Margaret Thatcher

Bruce Forsyth




















































































































On average, how much time does it take you to complete one pixelated image from recycled postage stamps?

Three foot square canvases usually take eight or nine working days whereas a portrait such as that of Simon Cowell which measures 7’ by 12’ and used 22,000 stamps took almost two months.



Simon Cowell










































I saw some of your drawings. They look amazing! Tell us more about them.

As an artist I love to draw, pencil being a special medium capable of strength, boldness and subtlety. The drawings are usually preparatory sketches for the larger stamp portraits.


Winston Churchill
Diana Princess Of Wales
Tony Blair
David Beckham


















































Do you have any dream project?

Since my college days in the 1960s my hero has been Roy Lichtenstein and his work entitled ‘Mural with Blue Brushstroke’ from 1986 measuring over 22 by 10 metres is a favourite of mine. It would be an ambition to make a tribute to him in a similar manner as a commission but this would require several million stamps and a very kind sponsor for a large space and funding.


Peter Mason with his portraits





































Peter, thanks for such a wonderful interview. You're indeed a great artist and it was a pleasure to have you on E-junkie. All the best!

Visit Peter's website to check out his full portfolio.

To read more inspiring interviews of talented artist like Peter, you can subscribe to our RSS feeds. You can also choose to receive updates via email


Do join our Facebook page: 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Post a Comment